Summary of The Day: Wandering around Sovereign Hill really does take you back in time and is exemplary as an outdoor museum that reflects Ballarat's history with gold discovery in the 1850s. Take a town tour of Ballarat en-route to Sovereign Hill where you will spend the majority of your time seeing and experiencing the gold rush era. The original shops are a real treat such as the blacksmiths and a favourite for many is the lolly shop where you can purchase homemade boiled lollies. Enjoy the rustic and western atmosphere of your lunch venue at the New York Bakery in Main Street.
Highlights of this tour
- Departing Melbourne travel the Western Highway, a stagecoach route of the 1850's
- Enjoy a journey around Ballarat and learn of its gold period history
- See the site of the 1854 miner's rebellion, the Eureka Stockade
- Explore the living museum of Sovereign Hill, an authentic recreation of an 1850s gold mining town
- Try your hand at Gold panning in Red Gully Creek
- Join the "Red Hill Mine Tour" and explore an underground mine
- See demonstrations of machinery used in the Gold mining era and witness original working conditions
- Stroll the main street and explore the many original shops selling period items and watch the daily parade
- Visit blacksmiths and traditional craftsmen plying their trades and hear about their role in Ballarat's history
- Enjoy a scrumptious lunch at the New York Bakery on Sovereign Hill's main street
- Watch the pouring of a bar of gold and hear of the process involved
- Learn of the history of Chinese settlers at Ballarat and their role in the goldfields
- Perhaps ride a stagecoach through town
- Watch the Giant Crushing Battery
- Visit the Gold Museum and learn of the discovery and evolution of Ballarat and the importance of gold in the region
Your reservation is always subject to confirmation by email, normally within one to two business days.
* Adult: 15 and older
* Child: 3-14 years of age
* Children younger than 3 join the tour for free, provided they do not occupy a seat.
* Tour prices are based on Australian dollars (AUD) and converted into US dollars (USD). Constant fluctuations in the exchange rate cause prices to change on a regular basis. You will be charged the price based on the applicable exchange rate at the time of payment. All transactions are final. We do not offer discounts or compensation to those citing lower prices at a later date.
Sturdy walking shoes are recommended due to uneven and sometimes slippery terrain.
Photographs are not allowed in the Underground Mine or at any performances at the Victoria Theatre.
Please input your hotel address during booking and we will confirm the pick-up time and location 24 hours prior to tour departure date.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.