Summary of The Day: Wandering around Sovereign Hill really does take you back in time and is exemplary as an outdoor museum that reflects Ballarat's history with gold discovery in the 1850s. Take a town tour of Ballarat en-route to Sovereign Hill where you will spend the majority of your time seeing and experiencing the gold rush era. The original shops are a real treat such as the blacksmiths and a favourite for many is the lolly shop where you can purchase homemade boiled lollies. Enjoy the rustic and western atmosphere of your lunch venue at the New York Bakery in Main Street.
Highlights of this tour
- Departing Melbourne travel the Western Highway, a stagecoach route of the 1850's
- Enjoy a journey around Ballarat and learn of its gold period history
- See the site of the 1854 miner's rebellion, the Eureka Stockade
- Explore the living museum of Sovereign Hill, an authentic recreation of an 1850s gold mining town
- Try your hand at Gold panning in Red Gully Creek
- Join the "Red Hill Mine Tour" and explore an underground mine
- See demonstrations of machinery used in the Gold mining era and witness original working conditions
- Stroll the main street and explore the many original shops selling period items and watch the daily parade
- Visit blacksmiths and traditional craftsmen plying their trades and hear about their role in Ballarat's history
- Enjoy a scrumptious lunch at the New York Bakery on Sovereign Hill's main street
- Watch the pouring of a bar of gold and hear of the process involved
- Learn of the history of Chinese settlers at Ballarat and their role in the goldfields
- Perhaps ride a stagecoach through town
- Watch the Giant Crushing Battery
- Visit the Gold Museum and learn of the discovery and evolution of Ballarat and the importance of gold in the region
|USD $138.04||USD $69.02|
* Adult: 15 and older|
* Child: 3-14 years of age
* Children younger than 3 join the tour for free, provided they do not occupy a seat.
* Tour prices are based on Australian dollars (AUD) and converted into US dollars (USD). Constant fluctuations in the exchange rate cause prices to change on a regular basis. You will be charged the price based on the applicable exchange rate at the time of payment. All transactions are final. We do not offer discounts or compensation to those citing lower prices at a later date.
Questions previously answered may have different answers due to many reasons: season (date and year of travel), rates, availability, etc.Please check the Rewards4Fun Program FAQ for more information.Ask Us
Have our experienced tour consultant give you a call.
Many of our tours and activities are available in several languages:
Your guide speaks the language.
A headset or similar audio device in the language is available.
Copyright © 2006-2017 Tours4fun.com. All rights reserved. Tours4fun and its logo are trademarks of Easy-Go Inc.
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Tours4fun Terms and Conditions.