Summary of The Day: Most people wouldn't include a cemetery on their list of "sights to see" when visiting a new city, but Paris' Pere Lachaise is different.
Considered to be some of the most expensive and coveted grave real estate in the world - Pere LaChaise is home to 70,000 dead, among them some of the most famous, artists, writers and musicians the world has ever known. Most know this cemetery for Jim Morrison, but to ignore the rest would be a shame, as the tombstones recount endless fascinating stories about the lives that were laid to rest here.
Meander this labyrinth of stones, trees and dirt paths with us as your guide points out the famous graves and hidden eccentricities that make this place special. Oscar Wilde's tomb surely stands out, covered entirely with bright red lipstick kiss marks from visiting admirers. Discover one of the greatest and most tragic love stories of all time - that of Heloise & Abelard, now buried side by side after long years of separation. As we pass Chopin's tomb you can almost hear his most well known piece, the Funeral Dirge.
We'll also find the resting place of Moliere, the famous French playwright. Famous for irony and satire, Moliere - a sick man whose doctors thought he was a hypochondriac - died playing a well man who is a hypochondriac, onstage while the audience cheered him on.
Speaking of irony, the most visited grave in this Paris cemetery is that of the infamous American rock star - Jim Morrison. His grave, and those surrounded it are covered with graffiti from the hoards of fans that come here to visit his resting place. Among others, Balzac, Proust and Delacroix await us in the hidden corners of the graveyard. No rush! We'll see them all - they aren't going anywhere.
Join us on this extraordinary tour of this very special cemetery and relive with us the lives and stories of the great people buried here.
This service ends around 5:00pm at Porte du Rapos (nearest metro stop is Philippe Auguste, line 2).
* Adult: 15 and older
* Child: 4-14 years of age
* Participation is free for children under the age of 4; no reservation required.
* Tour prices are based on EUR and are converted into USD. Prices will change day to day, due to the currency exchange rates. Tours booked and paid for will be charged at the current rate at which the tour price is shown. We will not refund any price differences, should prices drop for the tour. Tours will be subject to Cancellation Fees, should any changes be made for a reservation.
Guided storytelling tour of Paris's famous cemetery
This tour involves a fair amount of walking so comfortable shoes are recommended.
It is the individual responsibility of all visitors to arrive at the tour departure points.
The cemetery may at times close due to inclement weather. In such cases, clients will be provided with a free change of date or a full refund.
We regret that we are unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or mobility impairments on our tours.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.
"Out of all the Paris tours I registered for, I found the cemetery one the most intriguing and interesting. Very informative guide and a most enjoyable walk through some of Paris' parkland. I highly recommend this tour to anyone visiting Pa...ris for the first time."Read full review
Q & A
Questions previously answered may have different answers due to many reasons: season (date and year of travel), rates, availability, etc.Please check the Rewards4Fun Program FAQ for more information.