Summary of The Day: Discover a hidden gem of the Canadian Rockies on an adventurous hike into Grotto Canyon, an ancient landscape that is truly spectacular in the winter. Your expert guide will lead you into this amazing region to uncover ancient Native American pictographs, complex rock formations, fascinating forests, and mountain shaping icefalls.
After picking you up from your hotel in Banff or Canmore, we'll head out to the Grotto Canyon, slip on our ice cleats and grab our hiking poles for a scenic journey. We'll enter the canyon via a frozen creek and pass by the stunted forest, a twisted collection of trees that are dwarfed by the giants that dominate Bow Valley. Keep your eyes out for ancient rock art that link human activity to the local Native American tribes of the region. Let your guide regal you of the fascinating geological and natural history of the canyon. We may even encounter ice climbers scaling the canyon's frozen waterfalls.
This unique adventure will lead us to a region generally untouched by the general public, making it a tour like no other.
Please input your hotel address in "meeting point" during booking and we'll confirm the pick-up schedule with you.
Skiwear is strongly recommended for this tour. Thermal layers, snow pants and jacket, hat, mitts, scarf and warm, waterproof winter boots. It is better to have too many layers than not enough. We also recommend wearing a comfortable pair of warm, waterproof winter boots. If you do not own something suitable let us know your shoe size and we can provide boots for you at no extra charge.
We ask you to be ready for 8:15am and the driver will be there between 8:15 and 8:30am. There is a pick up window of 15 minutes for all Banff hotels. Pick up from the Radisson in Canmore is at 8:45am.
The driver will aim to drop guests back to Canmore hotels between 12:00pm and 12:30pm, exact times will vary depending on which hotel you are staying at and can sometimes be delayed due to unforeseen circumstances.
This is rated as an easy walk with a return distance of 4.2km (2.6 miles) and elevation gain of 100m (328 feet). You will follow the winding path of the canyon floor.
In order to protect your own property, please bring any valuable items with you at any time. Please do not leave any valuable items on the bus/hotel/attraction/restaurant etc. Tours4Fun, local operators, drivers and tour guides will not take any responsibility for any theft or loss at any location.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.