Summary of The Day: Join our Notre Dame tour for an adventure through, not just the cathedral and its famous bell towers, but also Ile de la Cite with its rich history, dramatic architecture, and unique sights.
With an expert, English-speaking guide leading the way, you'll learn about the history behind this beautiful little island - the center of Paris where the medieval city was founded - walking its streets and spotting the details you wouldn't notice otherwise. You'll see the Conciergerie, the oldest remaining part of the first royal palace (now known as the Palace of Justice), and the infamous prison that housed Marie Antoinette before her execution in 1793 during the French Revolution. Among the Conciergerie's three towers is Bonbec (Good Beak), where tortured prisoners were made to “sing!”
You'll pass by the Sainte-Chapelle church, built in the 1200's by Louis IX in the French royal style, to house the Crusade's Crown of Thorns and Piece of the True Cross. More recent history and headlines were made when the island's beloved Marche aux Fleurs was renamed for Queen Elizabeth II during the 70th anniversary of D-Day. Since 1830, this lovely flower market, both covered and open air, has been a delight for the senses and, located between Sainte-Chapelle and Notre Dame Cathedral, a welcome oasis for sightseers.
And now we come to the highlight of the tour: Our Lady of Paris. Begun in 1163 by Louis VII on a site that was originally sacred to the Romans, Notre Dame is one of the most magnificent examples of French Gothic architecture and among the largest and most famous churches in the world. The heart of Paris and the point from which all distances in France are measured, this cathedral has captured the hearts of visitors and locals for centuries. It even inspired Victor Hugo's tale of a tragic, lovelorn hunchback, later adapted (and made a lot more child-friendly) by Disney.
After admiring its imposing exterior, we’ll explore the interior of the cathedral to see its incredible, naturalistic stained glass windows and sculptures, imposing arches and famed flying buttresses. Along the way, your guide will share stories about the work that went into the church, the damage it sustained during the French revolution, and its restoration.
Then comes a sure highlight of our Notre Dame tour. Your guide will give you Skip the Line tickets to enter one of the cathedral towers. Climbing the winding staircase, you’ll discover perhaps the most beautiful views of Paris, with the Sacre Coeur rising on one side, the Eiffel Tower on the other and the Seine licking at your feet. Here you’ll find an iconic feature of the cathedral - the gargoyles. These fantastic, fierce sculptures are actually drainpipes, built for water run off, but it’s hard to think of them in practical terms. Imagine them as they originally appeared - in bright colors…technicolor terror!
Take your time to pose for photos, climb the myriad steps to the tower roof, or stop to visit Emmanuelle, the more than 300-year-old, ten-ton bell rung by Victor Hugo’s fabled hunchback and immortalized in movies and plays.
We guarantee you won’t need photos to remember the wonderful, timeless sites of Paris’ Ile de la Cité. The dramatic tales of passion, scandal, terror, and triumph shared by your guide will make the centuries drop away and these sites come alive.
The tour service ends at Notre Dame Cathedral.
For tour without access to the Towers, please refer to:
Your reservation is always subject to confirmation by email, normally within one to two business days.
* Adult: 15 and older
* Child: 4-14 years of age
* Participation is free for children under the age of 4; no reservation required.
* Tour prices are based on EUR and are converted into USD. Prices will change day to day, due to the currency exchange rates. Tours booked and paid for will be charged at the current rate at which the tour price is shown. We will not refund any price differences, should prices drop for the tour. Tours will be subject to Cancellation Fees, should any changes be made for a reservation.
Skip-the Line Access to the Towers of Notre Dame
Guided tour of Ile de la Cite and Notre Dame
Expert, English-speaking guide
Small group sizes of only 20 people or fewer
Audio headsets when appropriate so you can always hear your guide
It is the individual responsibility of all visitors to arrive at the tour departure point on time.
We regret that we are unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or mobility impairments on our tours.
Extra measures may be implemented at some venues due to heightened global security. As a result, we may experience delays in getting through mandatory security checks when entering these venues. Extra measures may also restrict the size of bags that can be brought inside. To avoid disruptions or possible denied entry, we strongly suggest that you avoid bringing large purses, bags, or backpacks on your tour.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.