Bogota - Zipaquira Salt Cathedral - Lake Guatavita - Bogota
Summary of The Day: This lovely day trip will take you to two of the best attractions near Bogota, each of them one-of-a-kind.
The first stop will be Zipaquira Salt Cathedral; a majestic cathedral built inside the bowels of the largest salt rock deposit on earth. This sight deserves every piece of its fame. It's a place where you'll see the mysticism of the Muiscas, Catholic symbology and engineering power collide; it's a magical tour through tunnels and vaults of incredible size.
Within this former salt mine, the materials found underground have been manipulated by artists and sculptors, and with help of some amazing lighting effects, you'll witness one of the most original interpretations of Catholic symbols on earth. Learn from our expert guide about this process and the symbology behind the works of art you will see along the tour. After exiting the cathedral we will head to the colonial village of Zipaquira. We will walk by the main square, which is surrounded by several buildings that are declared national monuments. We will have time to stop at the local handicraft market.
After a stop for lunch at an authentic traditional foods restaurant - which formerly was a salt boiler and still displays traces of the process that was used here - we will drive towards Guatavita which was named after the treasure hidden behind its mountains - Lake Guatavita.
After walking through the cobbled streets of the “white-house village”, which holds a unique history, we will drive through potato crops and farmers' homes up to the paramount in which the sacred lake lies hidden among mountains and mist. Inside this natural reservoir dotted by forest vegetation, you can feel the mystic energy that made this lagoon a sacred place for the Muiscas. Learn about the connection of this ancient people with nature and the way gold was used as a symbol of gratitude. Also noted, this particular practice preformed by the Muiscas awoke the passions of Spanish bounty hunters and other unfortunate adventurers.
Finally we will head back to Bogotá and you will be dropped of at your hotel or any other point of your convenience.
Your reservation is always subject to confirmation by email, normally within one to two business days.
* Price is per order.
* Book for a party of 5 or more and get a reduced rate.
* Adult: $196.00 per person for groups of 2-4 guests; $153.00 per person for groups of 5-10 guests
* Children's rate for under 3 years is 50% of adult rate. If there are children under 3 joining the tour, please state the child's birth date in the "Reservation Request" box during booking and contact our customer service team to adjust price for you.
* This tour requires minimum 2 guests to operate.
Private transportation from and to your hotel in Bogotá area
Expert guide in the language of tour preference (Spanish, English, Portuguese, Italian, French, German)
Salt Cathedral and Guatavita Natural Reserve entrance tickets
Please include your hotel name and address in the "Meeting Point" box during booking.
The order of the tour can be modified due to weather conditions.
Bring comfortable shoes for hiking (1 hour approx.) and rain coat.
Dress code: Smart Casual
Please bring the copy of your passport.
In order to protect your own property, please bring any valuable items with you at any time. Please do not leave any valuable items on the bus/hotel/attraction/restaurant etc. Tours4Fun, local operators, drivers and tour guides will not take any responsibility for any theft or loss at any location.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.