Summary of The Day: From London we'll head northwest on our journey to Wales, but first we'll visit the birthplace of one William Shakespeare with a stop in the city of Stratford on Avon. A classic medieval town in England, much of the original black and white timber structures still stand in Stratford, some as old as the Tudors.
After lunch here we'll continue through the Welsh Marshes, the border between England and Wales, and enter the heart of the Cambrian Mountains. Passing through the enchanting Elan Valley we'll arrive in the lovely city of Birmingha, where we'll have time to explore and rest. Then its just a one hour drive in the late afternoon to the seaside town of Aberytwyth, our home for the next 2 nights.
Summary of The Day: From Aberytwyth as our starting point we'll begin to explore Wales. First up, we'll head north through the mountainous region of the Snowdonia National Park and visit the mountain village of Beddgelert. Legend has it the ancient hound Gelert rest here and you can visit the memorial grave that honors his tale. You can also visit the nearby copper mine which is open to visitors.
Next, we'll head to the small town of Criccieth, home to a stunning castle of the Welsh Princes that offers impressive views of the coast and Cardigan Bay. We'll continue onward to Porthmadog and over the Cob Causway to arrive at Harlech Castle. This might fortress was one of Edward's I great military strongholds that wrapped around north Wales's coastline.
After exploring here we'll return to Aberystwyth in late afternoon.
Summary of The Day: Saying farewell to Aberystwyth we'll cross the coast of Cardigan Bay, passing through the quaint town of Aberaeron or our way to New Quay. This town hosts a charming harbor filled with fishing boats and is famous for inspiring many poems by Dylan Thomas. If you stand atop the breakwater wall you might get to spot dolphins and whales feeding in the bay.
Turning inland, we'll go hunting for gold with a visit to the Dolaucothi mine, one of the most ancient mines in the country. Then we'll head to the towering Black Mountains where we'll discover Carreg Cennen Castle and its ancient bedrock cave.
Then its back to the coast with a trip to Laugharne where Dylan Thomas wrote the famous play “Under Milk Wood.” We'll continue further along the coast to Tenby, a picturesque town where we'll spend the next 2 nights.
Summary of The Day: Just one more full day left to explore Wales and we're going to make the best of it with a trip to the southwest.
First we'll enter Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, the birthplace of the patron saint of Wales, St David, and the Tudor royal dynasty. We'll stop in the county town of Pembroke to see yet another fabulous castle before continuing to the tiny cathedral city of St Davids for lunch and time to explore this magical place.
By the afternoon we'll head to the coast to Strumble Head, the site of the last invasion of Britain in 1797, and the Presili Hills, a where many ancient tombs from Neolithic times have been discover and where the blue stones of Stonehenge were gathered from.
Summary of The Day: In the morning we'll begin our return journey to London, but not before visiting a few more sites along the way.
We'll follow a motorway past Cardiff and visit the outdoor National History Museum (an optional drop-off for anyone wanting end the tour in Cardiff). We'll take a quick sightseeing tour of Cardiff Bay before heading back in time to the well-preserved Caerleon, an ancient Roman Fortress from 2000 years ago.
Finally, we'll cross the border back into England, crossing the Severn Estuary Bridge, and have one final stop at Castle Combe. Stroll through this traditional Cotswold village past ironstone cottages that are nearly 4 hundred years old.
* Child rate applies to children ages 5-15, based on 1 child sharing a room with parent(s) or 2 children in a twin room.
* Children younger than 5 are not permitted on this tour.
* Group size: 16 maximum
* Prices for Single Occupancy apply when one person stays in one standard hotel room.
* Prices for Double Occupancy apply when two or more people stay in one standard hotel room. Please note that the number of guests staying in a double room is subject to change. Please refer to the final schedule when booking.
* Tour prices are based on GBP and are converted into USD. Prices will change day to day, due to the currency exchange rates. Tours booked and paid for will be charged at the current rate at which the tour price is shown. We will not refund any price differences, should prices drop for the tour. Tours will be subject to Cancellation Fees, should any changes be made for a reservation.
Accommodation in 3 star B&B/guest house or 3 star hotel, with private facilities and breakfast
We recommend you bring suitable clothing and footwear for your tour. Accommodation on this tour is dispersed around Exeter and Falmouth. If you have mobility challenges or special requirements please let us know when booking. Unless otherwise notified passengers are restricted to one medium sized suitcase/bag (maximum pounds/15 kilos) and one carry-on bag per person.
On occasion, when villages we stay in host events, accommodation may be scarce and expensive so we may stay at other accommodations. We will always inform you of this when it is necessary.
- 23 days prior to departure date: 100% of tour cost
- 24-29 days prior to departure date: 25% of tour cost
- 30 or more days prior to departure date: 10% of tour cost
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.