Summary of The Day: Get started with a 7 am pickup at the hotel, proceeding north towards Villa de Leyva. Enjoy of a historical stop at the Boyacá Bridge, where the battle of Boyacá took place in the 19th century which helped secure Colombia’s independence from the Spaniards.
Right before arriving to Villa de Leyva, go to El Infiernito (Little Hell) and marvel in an ancient Muisca observatory and how they used to calculate the optimal time for harvest and then visit the blue pond, a water reservoir created by farmers. The water’s color has turned into a surprisingly vivid blue that contrasts beautifully with the arid vegetation.
You’ll reach the colonial village around 2:30 pm and check into the cozy traditional guest house that’ll be booked for your group. Casa de las Ventanas del Fierro is a guest house in the historical part of Villa de Leyva two blocks away from the square. The house was built in 1623 and the actual owners bought it and finished its reconstruction in 1976, at first it was a family house but it’s became a guest house over the years. The house has a gorgeous interior garden and a balcony over the small stream that passes through San Agustin’s convent.
Feel free to explore the town the rest of the afternoon. The village was established around the enormous Plaza Mayor, a cobblestone main square that has a surface of 14.000m² and its delimited by the church and the colonial houses which are know shops, restaurants, hotels. Wander through narrow cobblestone streets and be swept of your feet by their charm, white washed facades and rustic wooden doors.
Summary of The Day: Explore the village and its surroundings by yourself or we can help by arranging any other activity of your preference (not included in the price). Even though Villa de Leyva is a small it has a wide range of activities to offer from hiking in natural parks to buggy races, horseback riding, bird watching, archaeological sites to museums and historical buildings.
At 11:0 am you will be picked up at your hotel and you’ll be taken to Ráquira, a small village nearby, famous for its amazing craftsmanship of woodworking, pottery, basketry and more. Have the opportunity to do some souvenir shopping and the then proceed to go back to Bogota where you’ll be taken back to your hotel.
Casa de Terracota
It is also optional to change any of the activities above for the Casa de Terracota, which is a house made of clay measuring 500 m² in Villa de Leyva is considered the largest piece of pottery in the world. This is the Terracotta House, bricked colored structure that architect Octavio Mendoza baked in the same manner as pottery makers when they produce vases, dishes and other decorative objects. It is a construction which according to its creator, transforms it into habitable architecture.
We will leave Villa de Leyva at 11:00am and go back to your hotel in Bogota at about 3:00pm.
Please include your hotel name and address in the "Meeting Point" box during booking.
Dress code: Smart Casual
Please bring a copy of your passport.
In order to protect your own property, please bring any valuable items with you at any time. Please do not leave any valuable items on the bus/hotel/attraction/restaurant etc. Tours4Fun, local operators, drivers and tour guides will not take any responsibility for any theft or loss at any location.
Tours4Fun cooperates with top local area tour operators and ensures the best quality of services to all travelers. We provide tour coaches that all are insured with a liability insurance coverage from $5,000,000 to $10,000,000 to make sure that your trips are safer and more enjoyable.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.