Summary of The Day: Tokyo’s vibrant food culture is legendary, and is one of the many reasons why people flock to the Japanese capital. On this Tokyo tour enjoy the food culture of Tokyo from an ordinary businessman’s perspective, as well as the tradition of foods in everyday life of Tokyo.
Throughout your Tokyo food tour, your local guide will explain the history of food and places you visit, sharing with you his own personal experiences and food related family traditions and customs during the tour.
We’ll begin our tour in Yakitori Alley, near Yurakucho, an area with many casual bar-style restaurants and the birthplace of yakitori, one of many Japanese people’s favorite appetizers. As many businessmen and women do after 5:00pm, we’ll enjoy a drink of sake or a local beer, then sample yakitori at one of the many local restaurants, each with their own “tare” (sauce) mixed with their secret ingredients.
After having a drink to go with the yakitori, we’ll travel to Tsukishima to visit “Monja” Street, where “Monja-Yaki” is said to have originated. Often compared with Okonomiyaki in Osaka, Monja-yaki is a type of Japanese pan-fried batter with various ingredients. The ingredients are finely chopped and mixed into the batter before grilling. You’ll have the chance to watch your food being cooked, chat with the cook, and devour your Monja-yaki fresh from the hot plate. In true local style, you’ll use a small metal spatula for cutting it to pieces then chopsticks to eat with right from the grill.
We’ll take a quick stroll through Ginza, where you can find great confectionery shops and learn about the rich variety of traditional Japanese sweets - and, best of all, choose one to try! Usually made of rice and red beans, these sweets change based on the ingredients available at each time of year, and even their shapes are inspired by what you can find in nature during that season.
We’ll end our delicious Tokyo night tour by checking out a local pub for some more drinks, where you’re welcome to stay longer or return to the start point with your guide. Your guide can also recommend other cool local bars in small alleys, or a karaoke place for more fun into the night.
Tour ends at the JR Yurakucho Station at around 8:00pm.
* You must be at least 12 years old to join the tour.
* Tour prices are based on Japanese Yen (JPY) and are converted into US Dollar (USD). Prices will change day to day, due to the currency exchange rates. Tours booked and paid for will be charged at the current rate at which the tour price is shown. We will not refund any price differences, should prices drop for the tour. Tours will be subject to Cancellation Fees, should any changes be made for a reservation.
Local English-speaking guide
Five assorted skewered yakitori, monja-yaki
One local drink (sake, beer)
All other drinks (more sake, beer, or soft drinks)
For this tour you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12.
Legal age for drinking alcohol in Japan is 20 years old. Customers under 20 will be served non-alcoholic drinks only.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.