Summary of The Day: The glamour, elegance and grandeur of the acclaimed Chicago Theatre will leave you speechless. The captivating Chicago Theatre Tour will be the highlight of your visit to the Windy City.
This one-hour tour is a behind the scenes look at how one of the few remaining movie palaces in the nation has been transformed into a world-leading concert hall and renowned performing arts venue.
You will discover a charming lobby, a majestic staircase and an opulent auditorium, which has ceilings adorned with spectacular murals. You will stand on the famous stage, see the backstage walls covered with celebrity autographs and view the historic photo display.
Opened in 1921 as the Wonder Theatre of the World, its famous stage has hosted celebrated performances by legendary artists. Headlining acts have included Frank Sinatra, Liza Minnelli, Aretha Franklin, Prince and Harry Connick, Jr. as well as Alicia Keys, Kelly Clarkson, Beyonce' and more. The lavish theatre served as a model for other venues in America.
The interior boasted exquisite furnishings, drapes, crystal chandeliers and bronze light fixtures as well as Steuben glass shades and terracotta tiles. In the mid-20th century, the theater experienced difficult times and was scheduled for demolition. In 1986, preservationists saved and restored the theater, which is now an iconic symbol of the Windy City.
Interesting Facts About the Chicago Theatre:
• One of the few remaining signs of its kind in the world, the vertical marquee that spells out the city's name is almost six-stories tall.
• The exterior facade has a sixty-foot wide, six-story-tall sculpted replica of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris and a large stained glass panel.
• The sign, marquee and the 29-rank Wurlitzer pipe organ are designated landmarks.
• The magnificent lobby, surrounded by galleries and promenades, is five stories tall and was inspired by the Royal Chapel at Versailles.
• Ascending to various levels of the Grand Balcony, the majestic staircase is modeled after the Opera House in Paris.
• The 3,600-seat ornate auditorium stands seven stories high and encompasses almost half a city block.
|11:00AM||Chicago||N. State St (Runs only on Saturday)||175 N. State St, Chicago, IL 60601|
|12:00PM||Chicago||N. State St (Tues,Thur from Jan-Mar;Mon-Thurs in April, Sept, Dec; Mon-Fri, Sun from May-Aug; Tues & Thurs in Oct & Nov))||175 N. State St, Chicago, IL 60601|
|12:30PM||Chicago||N. State St (Runs only on Saturday)||175 N. State St, Chicago, IL 60601|
|USD $14.98||USD $9.98|
*Adult age: 13 and older|
*Child age: 5-12
Questions previously answered may have different answers due to many reasons: season (date and year of travel), rates, availability, etc.Please check the Rewards4Fun Program FAQ for more information.Ask Us
Have our experienced tour consultant give you a call.
Many of our tours and activities are available in several languages:
Your guide speaks the language.
A headset or similar audio device in the language is available.
Copyright © 2006-2016 Tours4fun.com. All rights reserved. Tours4fun and its logo are trademarks of Easy-Go Inc.
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Tours4fun Terms and Conditions.