Melbourne - Ballarat - Sovereign Hill - Red Hill Mine - Melbourne
Summary of The Day: Discover the bygone gold rush days of Australia with a day trip from Melbourne to Ballarat, Sovereign Hill, Red Hill Mine, and more!
Departing at 8:20am from Melbourne, we'll travel back int time to the Victorian gold rush era. First you’ll head out over the West Gate Bridge, en route to the beautiful town of Ballarat. Sit back and relax with DVD entertainment introducing you to Sovereign Hill, a wonderful outdoor museum exhibiting in ‘real life’ the story of Australia’s gold rush history.
First up, we'll arrive in Ballarat where you'll discover the historical significance of this town. In its centre the lush tree-lined streets are filled with grand homes of the Victorian era, many the result of prosperity from the gold fields of the 1850s. Today, Ballarat is a major regional centre and the commercial capital of the Central Highlands with a population of almost 100,000.
Next, we'll head to Sovereign Hill. It’s just like stepping into a working town of the time, with period-style homes, shops and retailers, blacksmiths, hotels and costumed characters that bring the exhibition to life. You can wander through the town to get a feel for the lifestyle as it was then.
The first thing that you'll experience at Sovereign Hill is the amazing story of the Eureka Stockade, an event that was fueled by government taxes that were being imposed on miners at the time. The first armed rebellion of its kind in Australia, it led to the deaths of twenty-two diggers and five troopers, and changed Australia’s history forever with the birth of democracy.
From here we'll go down into the depths of a real underground gold mine with a Red Hill Mine tour and discover the dark and dangerous world of deep lead mining. Here you'll also witness the discovery of the famous ‘Welcome Nugget.’ Afterwards you can explore the Gold Museum with its impressive collection.
You'll have some free time in Sovereign Hill, where you can pan for gold. There are diggers on hand to show you the tricks and techniques used to strike it rich, and then you can have a go and try your own luck.
You’ll be entertained by the many performances each day illustrating the exciting and colorful life on the gold fields. With wonderful costumes of the day and many stories to share, the characters will sweep you up in the fun of it all.
You can also visit a number of operational workshops and witness demonstrations of blacksmithing, wheel wrighting, gold pouring, candle making and many more.
Afterwards we'll return to Melbourne around 5:00pm.
For animal lovers, we'll also take you to Ballarat Wildlife Park before spending time at Sovereign Hill. A guided tour of the park will introduce you to many of our native animals...wombats, koalas, Tasmanian Devils and more. You'll even have the opportunity to hand feed kangaroos!
This tour departs from Melbourne Day Tour Centre, Federation Square East, corner Flinders & Russell Streets, Melbourne or your CBD hotel. In some instances, we may need to pick up from a nearby hotel if we cannot pick up directly from your accommodation due to restrictions beyond our control.
This tour departs at 8:20am and returns at 5:30pm. This tour departs from Melbourne Day Tour Centre, Federation Square East, corner of Flinders & Russell Streets, Melbourne or your CBD hotel. In some instances, we may need to pick up from a nearby hotel if we cannot pick up directly from your accommodation due to restrictions beyond our control.
We have a 'No Waiting' Policy. Please arrive at the pick-up point at least 15 minutes before scheduled departure.
Please dress according to the season. In summer (December to March) wear a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses. Wear layered clothing in autumn and winter. Always wear comfortable shoes and keep an umbrella and raincoat handy.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.