Valid for 12 months : This bus pass is valid for 12 months upon activation and the below itinerary is only for the minimum number of days available, but you may extend your time in each destination. Accommodation is not included with the pass but your guide can guarantee you a room for the first night at each stop.
Queenstown - Fiordland National Park
Summary of The Day: Haere mai (welcome)!
Kick off your flexible journey through New Zealand's South Island in Queenstown! This route features a minimum of 6 days but your pass is valid for 12 months, meaning you can extend your stay in each town to get a discover all their hidden secrets. We recommended at least 8-10 days to get the true South Island experience, but you can stay even longer if you like. Just speak to your guide to add a few nights in each town.
We'll begin with an early start today as we head for breathtaking Fiordland National Park and NZ’s most famous destination, Milford Sound, sometimes called the ‘Eighth Wonder of the World.’ Sit back and enjoy one of the most scenic drives on the South Island circuit as we cruise past Lake Wakatipu and watch the landscape change from farmland to mountains, glacier carved valleys and fiords.
There is time to do a cruise around Milford Sound before we head for Gunn’s Camp. Located in the solitude of Hollyford Valley, there’s no better place to enjoy an evening under the stars, spot glow-worms and listen out for kiwi bird calls.
This Pass can start or finish anywhere on this route.
Accommodation and activities are not included. However, the driver guide would assist you with booking accommodation and activities at every destination.
Fiordland National Park - Invercargill/Stewart Island
Summary of The Day: Start your morning off with a short riverside stroll through beech forest on the Viewing Gantry walk. Fiordland is part of the UNESCO World Heritage site Te Wahipounamu (which incorporates four national parks including Mt Cook, Mt Aspiring, Westland and Fiordland) and you’ll understand why as you soak up the spectacular landscape around you.
This afternoon we travel further south via Te Anau to Invercargill, next stop Stewart Island! NZ’s third-largest island, Stewart Island has an abundance of activities such as fishing, kayaking, diving, bird watching and tramping tracks. Those not going to Stewart Island will spend the night in Invercargill.
Summary of The Day: The morning is yours to explore the island, meet the locals, go fishing or enjoy some of the walks.
We'll catch an afternoon ferry back to the mainland. For those who chose not to venture onto Stewart Island your bus departs mid-morning to head out to Waipapa Point, Curio Bay and Porpoise Bay for some sea-lion, penguin and dolphin spotting. On the chance we can’t find any wildlife, we can visit the 180 million-year-old fossilized forest and grab a milkshake.
Afterwards we'll return to Bluff Hill to meet up with the island-goers before we express back to Queenstown.
Summary of The Day: Today we'll head over the Lindis Pass through the beautiful Mackenzie Country and past picturesque Lake Pukaki on the way to our amazing stop at the base of New Zealand’s highest mountain, Aoraki/Mt Cook.
We'll arrive in the early afternoon with time to do a 4WD & Argo Tour, check out the Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre or do one of the many great short walks in the park. If you want to hop off the bus for a few days there are some incredible longer walks you can do (we’d recommend leaving climbing Mt Cook to the experienced mountaineers though).
Summary of The Day: Leaving Mt Cook we'll make our way through a landscape made famous in the Lord of the Rings films. We'll make a stop at turquoise Lake Tekapo before heading on to Geraldine, where we will drop off the thrill seekers wanting to raft the top notch Grade 5 white water on the Rangitata River (late September - late March only). Those not rafting will continue on to Christchurch for a mid-afternoon arrival, giving you time to explore parts of the South Island’s largest city. The rafters will rejoin the group at the accommodation in Christchurch this evening.
Your reservation is always subject to confirmation by email, normally within one to two business days.
Standard Price/Person By Occupancy
* Price is per person.
* Tour prices are based on NZD and are converted into USD. Prices will change day to day, due to the currency exchange rates. Tours booked and paid for will be charged at the current rate at which the tour price is shown. We will not refund any price differences, should prices drop for the tour. Tours will be subject to Cancellation Fees, should any changes be made for a reservation.
South Island flexible hop-on hop-off travel pass (valid for up to 12 months from your first day of travel)
Comfortable wifi-enabled transport on local operator's private buses
Driver guide to provide invaluable knowledge, support and local insight and to assist with booking accommodation and activities at every destination
Accommodation- Pay as you go with your driver/guide
Optional activities - Speak to your guide to purchase any activity before you arrive (some come with special rates just for using this pass)
- Milford Sound cruise
- Te Anau Wildlife Centre
- Ferry to Stewart Island
- Fishing - Stewart Island
- Village & Bays tour - Stewart Island
- Ulva Island tour
- Argo tour of alpine region
- Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre
- Horse trek through Peel Forest
- Rangitata River Rafting (late September - late March only)
Your pass is valid for up to 12 months from your first day of travel, so hop on and off as many times as you like.
It is NOT an A to B bus service! We make stops along the way to show you amazing things, like a beautiful waterfall, short scenic walk, local food tasting or breathtaking views!
- 7 days prior to departure date: non-refundable
- 8-14 days prior to departure date: 50% of payment is refunded
- 15 days or more prior to departure date: 65% of payment is refunded
Accommodation is not included but you can book accommodation and activities by speaking to your Driver Guide - first night's accommodation is guaranteed at each stop! Basic Accommodation List 2016-2017
Tipping is not expected in New Zealand and is completely up to the guest's discretion. You are not expected to tip guides, drivers, waiters, hotel staff, etc.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.