Summary of The Day: Enjoy the sights and sounds of the Queen Charlotte Sound with seemingly endless bays and coves to explore and different scenery around each corner. The Seafood Odyssea Cruise offers a unique look at Aquaculture (the growing of fresh seafood) with visits to Salmon, Oyster and Mussel farms. Learn about the Marlborough Sounds area, the local seafoods grown and enjoy a fabulous seafood tasting. While cruising there is the chance opportunity for encountering local birdlife and wildlife. Seafood Odyssea cruise departs each afternoon over the summer season.
We'll set sail at 1:30pm from Picton Marina for our afternoon scenic cruise through the Queen Charlotte Sound to Ruakaka Bay where we'll have our first visit to a seafood farm: the New Zealand King Salmon Farm. Weather permitting, you can step off the boat and explore the farm to hand feed the Salmon and learn the fascinating process of Salmon farming.
Then our cruise will continue into Tory Channel to view a different type of aquaculture with a look at suspension culture, the technique traditionally used to grow Mussels and now Oysters, specifically the fabulous Tio Point Oysters. Then comes the fun bit, a fabulous tasting of divine Regal Salmon, fresh Tio Point Oysters matched to a complimentary glass of award winning Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. A beautiful wine and food match in a beautiful part of Marlborough!
Then we'll make our return journey back to Picton Marina. We can drop you off at the Bay of Many Coves Resort at 4:00pm or you can continue with us back to Picton Marina, arriving around 5:00pm.
Your reservation is always subject to confirmation by email, normally within one to two business days.
* Adult: 16 and older
* Child: 5-15 years of age
* Children younger than 5 are free of charge.
* Tour prices are based on New Zealand dollars (NZD) and converted into US dollars (USD). Constant fluctuations in the exchange rate cause prices to change on a regular basis. You will be charged the price based on the applicable exchange rate at the time of payment. All transactions are final. We do not offer discounts or compensation to those citing lower prices at a later date.
Transport by MV Odyssea - luxury 20 metre catamaran
A tasting of Salmon and Oysters
A glass of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
All personal expenses
Tips for tour guide/driver
Additional food and drink (available for purchase onboard)
Hotel pick-up, drop-off
Tour guides and drivers rely upon the service fees charged on the tour to supplement their income. The wages of tour guides and drivers are determined factoring in that they will receive service fees to augment their earnings. Please pay at least the recommended service fee because the tour guides and drivers work hard to accommodate many people on the tour.
Covered footware is required for access onto the Salmon Farm.
MV Odyssea is docked at Townwharf 5 at Picton Marina. This is at the east end of the Picton waterfront, near the private vessel marina. There is a carpark nearby.
Guest parking is available on Picton waterfront in the main Picton carpark which is located right next to Townwharf #5 (Check in location for Seafood Odyssea Cruise).
We recommend you bring your camera, a sunhat and sunscreen. It also pays to bring a light windbreaker jacket, in case there is a chilly sea breeze.
Tio Point Oysters - although farmed, supply of this product is not guaranteed 100% of the time. On certain days Oyster tasting will be replaced with Mussel tasting and/or Cloudy Bay Clams.
Adverse weather conditions may restrict or cancel cruise departures or limit access onto the Salmon Farm. Cruise availability and access onto the Salmon Farm due to weather and sea conditions will be at the sole discretion of the skipper.
Picton is a seaport township on State Highway 1, north of Blenheim at the top of the South Island, where ferries from Wellington arrive and depart. Picton is the gateway to the Queen Charlotte Sound, one of the main sounds that make up the Marlborough Sounds NZ.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.