Summary of The Day: Join Explore San Francisco on a stroll through one of our favorite San Francisco neighborhoods. A little less than a mile from start to finish, this walking tour takes you down Polk Street from Russian Hill and Nob Hill, through the Polk Gulch and straight into the Tenderloin. We travel past thresholds of eateries that serve the rich and famous, into historic businesses that survived the earthquake and fire of 1906 and find our way to some of the best food dives and restaurants in the city.
It has been said that tater-tots are the new tapas. How about tater-tots served in a dark bar named after a Clint Eastwood movie? Brilliant right? You'll see a bar made famous because it was the center of a cocaine distribution ring, run by transexuals. Eat at a restaurant that became famous as a bordello. There was once a dentist who made lots and lots of money removing people's teeth and performing oral surgeries, until it was found out that he wasn't a dentist at all! You will have the chance to have a beer in the establishment that is now his namesake. And while times have changed, the best donut shop in all of San Francisco is still here, made one at a time by the same people that were here during the hustler era.
Because this street was never as glamorous as some of it's neighbors, the food movement here has grown slowly but organically, with the owners of most eateries serving the public alongside their staff. Because the street scene here has always been quirky and sometimes on the fringe, the eateries really run the gamut. You will hear some colorful stories from a San Francisco native, eat some good food, and have a beer to wash it all down. We love this neighborhood, for all of it's grit and it's grime, it's real, it's interesting, and fun.
The tour usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but we may cancel the tour up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event. We do not issue refunds for tours cancelled due to weather conditions.
We recommend wearing comfortable shoes and clothing on the tour. San Francisco is known for the chilly weather and rolling fog, so dress in layers and be sure to bring a jacket.
Feel free to bring a bottle of water on food tours (we still do a lot of walking!).
On the tour we will have the opportunity to shop at local neighborhood venues. Some places accept cash only. Please bring a shopping bag.
Remember that we are on public streets and sidewalks; we cannot guarantee that the entire tour is accessible. Participants in wheelchairs must provide their own assistance.
While we love our pet friends, with the exception of guide dogs (not companion animals) , the tour is not appropriate for pets. Moreover, we cannot assume liability for the behavior of pets on the tour. Please find other accommodation for your pets.
In order to protect your personal property, please carry valuable items with you at all times. Please do not leave any valuable items on the bus or at the hotel, attraction or restaurant. Tours4Fun, local operators, drivers and tour guides are not responsible for any theft or loss at any location.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.