Summary of The Day: This comprehensive full day itinerary explores the city of Dunedin and the wonderful Otago Peninsula - where we take you to some of the finest lookouts and highlights of our small city, before heading out onto the Otago Peninsula. If you’re looking for the best things to do in Dunedin, then look no further, our most popular day tour brings them all together for the ultimate experience.
This full day excursion allows you to join others on a small group tour of a place blessed with interest. Dunedin (Otepoti) has a fascinating human and natural history - that includes a proud Maori tribe, early Scottish settlers, architecture, wildlife and stunning scenery.
The tour begins with a scenic drive into Dunedin city where we will take you to several key points of interest, including Baldwin Street, University of Otago, Dunedin Railway Station and the Octagon. Dunedin was once the leading industrial and commercial centre of New Zealand and has retained many of its early buildings - we have the largest collection of Edwardian and Victorian buildings for you to enjoy.
The journey continues out onto the Otago Peninsula, where the southern rollers pound our coastline and rare wildlife comes ashore regularly throughout the year. We visit Larnach Castle gardens (optional, upgrade available), where a unique collection of specialized gardens can be explored and some of the finest views of the Otago Harbour can be seen.
After your Larnach Castle experience, we follow the winding gravel roads towards Portobello, the main township on the Otago Peninsula. On the way, you will view native birds of New Zealand feeding on rich mudflats and see some of the finest scenery New Zealand has to offer.
Continuing on, we head to a unique Yellow-Eyed penguin reserve where you will use a series of tunnels and hides to get unrivaled viewing of the ‘critically endangered’ Yellow-Eyed Penguin. This Dunedin penguin tour provides you with fantastic photographic opportunities and introduces you to arguably the rarest penguin in the world. This component of the tour takes 90 minutes and requires tour members to climb 90 steps and walk for a maximum of 750 meters.
Our final stop is at Taiaroa Head, where the Northern Royal Albatross can often be seen gliding around the headland. Our guide will tell you the story of a truly amazing bird that spends most of his life at sea, and chooses the tip of the Otago Peninsula to breed. The surrounding area is also full of interest, and a perfect way to finish the day, before taking the low road back to Port Chalmers.
Please note that lunch is not included however you will have the opportunity to purchase something from the Larnach Castle ‘Ballroom Café’ or later on during the tour. If you have any dietary requirements, please let your guide know on the day of the tour.
This tour departs from Port Chalmers at 9:00AM and returns at 4:30PM.
Departure times can vary depending on the arrival/departure times of visiting cruise ships. The departure time is confirmed during the booking process, if you have any concerns please contact us.
Your reservation is always subject to confirmation by email, normally within one to two business days.
* Adult: 16 years or older
* Child: 3- 15 years of age
* Children younger than 3 years old may join the tour for free
* Tour prices are based on New Zealand dollars (NZD) and converted into US dollars (USD). Constant fluctuations in the exchange rate cause prices to change on a regular basis. You will be charged the price based on the applicable exchange rate at the time of payment. All transactions are final. We do not offer discounts or compensation to those citing lower prices at a later date.
Professional Tour Guide
Admission to the Yellow-Eyed Penguin Reserve
Pick-up/drop-off from Cruise Ship in Port Chambers
Hotel pick-up/drop-off from central Dunedin accommodations
Please input your cruise ship name during booking if you would like cruise ship pick-up/drop-off at Port Chambers.
Alternatively, if you would like to be pick-up/drop-off at a central accommodation in Dunedin, please input your hotel name and address during booking.
To protect your own property, please carry all valuable items on your person at all times. Do not leave any valuable items on the bus or at the hotel, attraction, restaurant, etc. Tours4fun, local operators, drivers and tour guides are not responsible for any loss or theft at any location.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.