Summary of The Day: Pistoia has been declared Italy’s Capital of Culture for 2017, so we say now’s the time to get a head start and discover it!
Located at the foot of the Appennine Mountains, Pistoia is the new alternative destination in Tuscany. It has a number of beautiful churches and squares dating back from the 11th century, and boasts a lively vibe with its own, totally unique character. It’s also very easy to reach because of its position between Florence and Lucca, in the heart of Tuscany.
Your Pistoia tour will start with a walk to the center of the old city. We’ll explore the medieval narrow lanes all around the ancient Sala Square that dates back to the 8th century.
From there, you’ll get your first taste of the city’s great atmosphere, as we walk through the local market, with stalls full of fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables. We’ll also check out some of the many traditional delis and shops, tasting different local products such as schiacciata (a type of savoury flat bread that pairs well with pecorino and caprino cheeses), and more.
After our snack stop, we’ll go explore the beautiful Duomo Square and learn the history of San Zeno Cathedral with the silver St. James altar, made by renaissance master Filippo Brunelleschi. We’ll also check out sites such as the old Baptistery, which dates back to 1300, the old Town Hall where the elders used to rule the medieval city, Pretorio Palace, and the historic frieze of the Ceppo Pilgrimage Hospital.
We’ll finish up our Pistoia tour with a delicious Tuscan brunch in a historic restaurant. We’ll taste different kinds of cured meats such as finocchiona salami, mortadella, and prosciutto crudo, paired with bruschetta and extra virgin olive oil made in the Pistoia hills. And of course, we’ll wash all that down with some good local wine. Last but not least, we’ll finish up our meal with a selection of handmade desserts.
* Adult: 12 and older
* Child: 6-11 years of age.
* Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join the tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6.
* Tour prices are based on EUR and are converted into USD. Prices will change day to day, due to the currency exchange rates. Tours booked and paid for will be charged at the current rate at which the tour price is shown. We will not refund any price differences, should prices drop for the tour. Tours will be subject to Cancellation Fees, should any changes be made for a reservation.
For this tour you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Please wear comfortable shoes for walking.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.