Summary of The Day: Only 20 minutes outside of Rome, which makes it perfect for a day trip, is one of the best preserved archaeological sites in all of Italy. Ostia, which literally meant “at the mouth of the river,” served as Rome’s original Republican Colony and military outpost as well as a domestic landing for its cargo boats and warships during the Empire. Later on the city became the most important Port city in Ancient Rome, and provided the thriving metropolis with all that the growing empire had to offer; food, clothing, spices, as well as goods and wild animals from Africa.
While constructed similarly to Pompeii, Ostia offers a much broader panorama of life for the average Roman from the end of I A.D, reason why is nowadays called the better Pompeii. You will be overwhelmed by the size and beauty of the city. As if you were traveling back in time you will admire its public and private bath structures, view the perfectly intact mosaics and marble slabs as we visit locations such as the, bakery, taverns, ancient fast-food restaurants, theater, private homes and fountains.
Ostia Antica is an ancient sites and not wheelchair friendly. We encourage those with walking disabilities to book a private tour, in order to allow the guide to adapt the pace to their specific needs.
Please wear comfortable shows for walking and comfortable clothing.
The meeting point will be at a central location in Rome. Full details will be provided after confirmation.
To protect your own property, please carry all valuable items on your person at all times. Do not leave any valuable items on the bus or at the hotel, attraction, restaurant, etc. Tours4fun, local operators, drivers and tour guides are not responsible for any loss or theft at any location.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.