We'll meet up at YHA Wellington in the morning for breakfast, and get ready to see what the capital of NZ has to offer us. A huge range of purpose-built singletrack up at Makara Peak just on Wellington’s doorstep will do the trick perfectly! After having a spin on these trails, we cruise back into downtown for a look around town and a bit of a feed for lunch and get ready for the sailing of the iconic Cook Straight between the North and South Islands of New Zealand. From the decks of the ferry, the city of Wellington fades, but before long we’ll be greeted with views of the vast blue water with the occasional dolphin leaping alongside the boat. As if the views couldn’t be more perfect.
We arrive in Picton a few hours later and sightsee it along the vineyard-scattered road to Nelson. We are welcomed into Nelson, a Bikers Paradise, where riders are truly spoiled for choice and face a feast of cycling options which we will get a taste of tomorrow.
Having over 1000m of elevation to play with, this is a great starting point for our exploration of the Nelson Trails. From high alpine environments to lush native forests and rooty forestry blocks, the luxury of choice has resulted in a wide variety of trails in and around Nelson, each with a unique flavor.
Within a 10km radius of Nelson City, we'll find over 30 trails ranging from grade 2 to grade 5. You’ll find multiple DH tracks, flow tracks, root infested technical challenges, fun bermed loops and classic back country epics. If energy permits, we can sample the trails in the Codgers MTB Park at night, or we can take a walk up to the ‘Centre of New Zealand’ for some stunning views and photo opportunities. We suggest hitting the beds early though to make sure we are raring to go in the morning; many more amazing rides lie in store for us here!
You would be informed of the accommodation information once your reservation is confirmed.
Summary of The Day: After a hearty breakfast, wide-eyed and eager to get out there, we embark on another of the Nga Haerenga Trails (New Zealand Cycle Trails): The Dun Mountain and Coppermine Loop.
Starting only 3kms from the center of town, it is not hard to see why this spectacular ride is one of the most epic in the country. The 43-kilometer alpine route winds its way through the Codgers Mountain Bike Park where we rode yesterday, along the route of New Zealand’s first railway, before emerging into the alpine mineral belt near the summit of Dun Mountain (878m). From the top, you are faced with a professionally built single-track descent that drops for over 10km, emerging at the Maitai Dam. The last 10km of the ride follows the Maitai river right back into the heart of Nelson.
We have a group dinner at the Freehouse Brewery and Eatery included this evening; the burgers and pizzas are worth a trip to Nelson alone!
Summary of The Day: This morning we'll have a group continental breakfast, pack up the bikes and leave sunny Nelson to head back over to the coast for a scenic and enjoyable trip down to Christchurch, experiencing some interesting sights on the way.
After stopping at a vineyard in the Blenheim region, we'll continue down the Land of the Long White Cloud to our next pit stop at Kaikoura, famous for the many whales, dolphins and seals that swim around its waters and beaches. We'll visit the seal pup’s playground and, if you are keen for a dip in the water, there is an optional add-on of whale watching or dolphin swimming.
On our way down to Christchurch, a beautiful garden-filled city with lazy rivers and heritage buildings, your guide will point out a couple of trails to get you fizzing for tomorrow. The day ends by coming home to our very own Haka Lodge for a BBQ and a few drinks.
Tour ends at Haka Lodge Christchurch at around 5:00pm.
Your reservation is always subject to confirmation by email, normally within one to two business days.
Standard Price/Person By Occupancy
* Customers under 18 years old are not permitted on this tour.
* Due to limited availability at time of booking, multi-share accommodation for two or more guests may be provided in separate rooms. Every endeavor will be made to ensure this does not occur, but should this be necessary you will be advised at check-in.
* Tour prices are based on NZD and are converted into USD. Prices will change day to day, due to the currency exchange rates. Tours booked and paid for will be charged at the current rate at which the tour price is shown. We will not refund any price differences, should prices drop for the tour. Tours will be subject to Cancellation Fees, should any changes be made for a reservation.
Expert and friendly Kiwi tour manager with local knowledge
Accommodation each night (max 6 share)
Lunch on day two
Guided tours of the awesome trails Nelson has to offer
Cook Straight ferry crossing
All maps, detailed trail advice and recommendations
Tantalizing dinner and beer tasting at the Freehouse, Nelson
Classic New Zealand BBQ in Christchurch
Guided tour of every location plus many surprise stops on the way
Within New Zealand travel, each passenger is entitled to take one case, the sum of its length, width and depth not to exceed 160 cm (63 inches), weight limit 20 kilos along with a small day pack.
- Cancel outside 30 days - loss of deposit (99.00 NZD)
- Within 30 days -50% of tour cost
- Within 7 days - 100% of tour cost
Tours4Fun cooperates with top local area tour operators and ensures the best quality of services to all travelers. We provide tour coaches that all are insured with a liability insurance coverage from $5,000,000 to $10,000,000 to make sure that your trips are safer and more enjoyable.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.