Summary of The Day: Zawadisha is a charitable organisation whose mission is to provide small loans with big impact to Kenyan women. On this Nairobi tour, you’ll get to meet a member of the organisation, along with the women who have been helped through Zawadisha’s efforts.
You’ll meet your Zawadisha guide in town at the Comfort Suites before hopping in a vehicle and heading for the nearby community of Kayole. The journey will take approximately one hour as you leave Nairobi proper and head into the suburbs of the city. During this time you’ll be able to ask your Zawadisha guide the burning questions you have about the culture and landscape of Kenya.
In Kayole, we’ll head to a local market where you’ll be greeted by Cecilia, a long-time resident of this community. She’ll take you on a two-hour tour of the market, and give you the chance to explore the market at your leisure, stopping at kiosks that sell everything from fruits and vegetables to secondhand clothing. You’ll also get to meet a few local women who have received loans from Zawadisha to start and grow their businesses.
From there, we’ll head to Cecilia’s home for lunch, where we’ll share a homemade meal of pilau and stew with Cecilia and her family. Then, after lunch, Cecilia will teach you how to make chapati, a Kenyan staple that is similar to a tortilla or naan. Make sure to take notes - you’ll want to cook this for your friends when you return home!
We’ll then depart Cecilia’s and head back to the centre of Nairobi. There, we’ll settle into one of our favorite local haunts and relax with a cold Tusker beer or Stoney soda. As you sip, you’ll catch a bird’s-eye view of the hustle and bustle of the city centre - giving you a taste of so much more to explore while you’re in town.
If there are security issues in the area, we will re-route to a different market.
If the trip is running late and/or there is a serious jam, then the afternoon restaurant stop may need to be adjusted. Should this happen, an alternate location will be offered.
Kenyans appreciate visitors who dress modestly and “smart.” For women, we recommend pants or knee-length or longer skirts, and tops that cover the shoulders/bust. For men, we recommend pants and a button-down shirt or polo. Shorts and t-shirts are not advised. Please wear comfortable shoes as you will be spending the day walking. A hat or scarf can help shield you from the sun, and you should wear sunscreen. Please do not wear expensive jewelry.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.