Summary of The Day: Embark on a fully guided wildlife and dolphin cruise like no other. Travel through Marlborough's Queen Charlotte Sound to unique Wildlife Sanctuary Islands, encountering a huge variety of rare, wonderful and interesting species along the way.
Cruise the majestic Marlborough Sounds on a scenic journey to Motuara Island Bird Sanctuary. Our comfortable vessels and expert team take you on a conservation focused, wildlife adventure for your soul. Outstanding commentary and fantastic viewing areas allow you to enjoy playful Hector's, bottlenose, or dusky dolphins (90% encounter rate!). We also see NZ fur seals and numerous seabirds before landing on Motuara Island for a 1-hour nature lover's walk to remember.
Explore the island on your own or go with our knowledgeable guide who will point out and describe the resident blue penguins, rare saddleback, melodic bellbirds, cheeky robins, native pigeons and yellow-crowned parakeets (kakariki). The birds on this predator-free island are fearless, plentiful and very vocal. The view from the Cook Strait lookout is absolutely spectacular! After returning to the boat, sit back and relax with a hot drink and cookies before making our way back to Picton and stopping with any extra species we discover.
We are located conveniently on Picton's main Waterfront with car parking close by and only a 1-minute walk from the main street. Just look for the Dusky Dolphin outside our shop!
Come inside to see our stunning display of life size models of the wildlife species you will encounter on your experience. Wildlife information can be downloaded FREE to your phone.
Board our purpose built vessels at our floating wharf for your small group experience before embarking on your cruise through the scenic and sheltered waters of the southern Queen Charlotte Sound.
Briefing time is 30 minutes before tour departure.
Your reservation is always subject to confirmation by email, normally within one to two business days.
* Adult: 16 and older
* Child: 5-15 years of age
* Children younger than 5: NZD 30.00/pp
* Tour prices are based on New Zealand dollars (NZD) and converted into US dollars (USD). Constant fluctuations in the exchange rate cause prices to change on a regular basis. You will be charged the price based on the applicable exchange rate at the time of payment. All transactions are final. We do not offer discounts or compensation to those citing lower prices at a later date.
Fully guided Dolphin Cruise
Refreshments and snacks
Species identification cards with photos
1-hour guided walk on Motuara Island Bird Sanctuary
The tour may be cancelled due to poor weather conditions. If it is cancelled by us before the scheduled departure because of safety concerns arising from poor weather, you will be entitled to receive a full refund.
- 30 or more days prior to the departure date: 10% of tour cost will be charged.
- 16-29 days prior to the departure date: 50% of tour cost will be charged.
- 0-15 days prior to the departure date: 100% of tour will be charged.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.