Antigua - Panajachel - Santiago Atitlan - Panajachel
Summary of The Day: Your tour will begin with a pick up at your hotel in Antigua Guatemala. We will take the road to the Western Highlands region, home to quaint and colorful mountain villages, highland lakes, pine forests, and the majority of Guatemala’s indigenous people. This is the region most travelers familiar with Guatemala think about when daydreaming of a trip to this beautiful country.
Upon arrival in Panajachel we will take a public boat to cross Lake Atitlan and visit Santiago Atitlan, where you’ll learn about local Saint "Maximon." Enjoy the vibrant colors and local flavor of this village.
Santiago is the most popular lakeside settlement outside Panajachel, and many atitecos (as its people are known) cling to a traditional Tz’utujil Mayan lifestyle. Women weave and wear huipiles (tunics) embroidered with brilliantly colored birds and flowers, and the cofradías town’s maintain the ceremonies and rituals of tradition, the syncretic traditions and practices of Mayan Catholicism. There’s a large art and crafts scene here as well.
Afterwards we'll return to Panajachel and enjoy a delicious lunch (own expense).
Then, we'll explore the village of Panajachel, a pre-Columbian town of Kakchiquel origin, settled next to the river with the same name and on the lakeside of Atitlán. The town witnessed the final battle between Spaniards and their Kakchiquel allies against the Tzujiles and it also was a settlement point for the Franciscan missionaries who founded a convent nearby.
In the afternoon, you’ll be returned to Antigua Guatemala.
It is recommended that you bring walking shoes, a hat, sunglasses, and a camera.
Please contact us if you need a guide in any other language. French, German and Italian in private services, subject to additional costs and guide availability.
For groups of 10 persons or more, please contact us.
To protect your own property, please carry all valuable items on your person at all times. Do not leave any valuable items on the bus or at the hotel, attraction, restaurant, etc. Tours4fun, local operators, drivers and tour guides are not responsible for any loss or theft at any location.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.