Summary of The Day: This is a fantastic introduction to an enthralling world of ice. A short heli hop from the township takes you into the remarkable Pinnacles area of the glacier. Here your guide will navigate you through a maze of ice and explain the dramatic environmental changes over the last few years. You will explore the awe-inspiring landscape in this incredible experience through Franz Josef Glacier.
Afterwards, you can warm up in the Main Pools at the fabulous Glacier Hot Pools!
Sometimes even the best plans don't work out - sometimes helicopters don't fly. If your tour is cancelled due to weather, Franz Josef Glacier Guides will automatically transfer you onto our Glacier Valley Walk the same day. There is no obligation to participate and you can cancel at any time. We just want to make sure you don't miss out on a great glacier experience.
Trip times: regular departures throughout the day. Timeslots listed are for reference only, and subject to final confirmation.
All guests are provided with the best glacier equipment available for their trips. Our guides are all fully trained in First Aid and carry a First Aid kit with them on every trip. Safety barrels complete with ropes,harnesses and rescue equipment are distributed in discreet areas of the glacier for emergency situations.
Your reservation is always subject to confirmation by email, normally within one to two business days.
* Adult: 17 and older
* Child: 12-16 years of age.
* Children younger than 12 are not permitted.
* Ice time: up to 3 hours.
* Difficulty: moderate.
* Group size: 1-13 guests.
* Clients with a weight of more than 120kg (264.5lb) maybe subject to restrictions.
* Tour prices are based on New Zealand Dollar (NZD) and converted into US dollars (USD). Constant fluctuations in the exchange rate cause prices to change on a regular basis. You will be charged the price based on the applicable exchange rate at the time of payment. All transactions are final. We do not offer discounts or compensation to those citing lower prices at a later date. Bookings will be subject to penalties when modified or cancelled.
What you need to bring:
- 2-4 warm upper body layers ideally woolen or polypro (not cotton)
- Quick drying trousers or shorts (no jeans)
- Food and drink for the day
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, camera
What not to bring:
- iPods/MP3 players
- Mobile Phones
- Car/Room Keys
- Selfie Stick
All our visitors and guides are equipped with the best in quality equipment:
- Breathable Rain Jacket
- Waterproof over-trousers (if required)
- Socks and sturdy boots (or you have the option to wear your own hiking boots)
- Crampons (with small waist bag) for superior glacier grip
- Woollen hats and gloves (if required)
Due to the risks involved we do not take anyone that is pregnant.
This trip is classed as an adventure activity with a high degree of risk as such you need to be aware that were cannot absolutely guarantee your safety.
Franz Josef Glacier is an unstable geological feature that presents certain hazards, including, but not limited to: avalanche, rock fall, ice fall, heavy rainfall, cold exposure, heights, flooding, uneven terrain, tripping and sun exposure.
The local operator reserves the right to curtail or cancel trips for clients whose fitness or ability is not appropriate to the trip on which they are booked. If you are unable to complete the glacier trip you have booked, you will not be entitled to a refund.
Factors such as lack of physical fitness, pre-existing medical conditions, including but not limited to heart conditions, abnormal blood pressure and joint conditions, can effect capacity to safely take part in a glacier trip and in turn increase the possibility of sustaining an injury. If you have any medical conditions or have had surgery in the last 10 years we recommend consulting your doctor.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.