Summary of The Day: Embark on a trip to ancient times and unveil the miseries that motivated the Spanish colonizers to explore the American Continent in search of gold. On this trip you will visit Lake Guatavita which has given birth to El Dorado legend and the Gold Museum, which has the largest pre-Hispanic gold collection in the world and learn how these different cultures lived.
The tour starts when you are collected at your hotel by our guide and driver. You will head towards the north east of the capital, driving up the Andean range for about 1 hour until reaching Guatavita village. After walking the cobblestone streets of the “white-house village”, which holds a unique history, we will drive between potato crop fields and farmers' houses up to the highest point in which the sacred lake lies hidden amongst mountains and mist.
Inside this natural reservoir dotted by lush and humid forest vegetation you can feel the mystic energy that made this lagoon a sacred place for the Muiscas. Learn about the connection with nature of this ancient people and the way gold was used as a symbol of gratitude. At the same time, get to know how this particular ritual awoke the passions of Spanish treasure hunters and other unfortunate adventurers.
We will come back to Bogota via La Calera, a small village by the side of the road famous for their heavenly arepas stuffed with farmer’s cheese. After a quick stop for a small bite, the trip continues straight to La Candelaria. Here we will make a lunch stop at a local restaurant (own expense). After lunch you will walk the narrow streets of La Candelaria, cross the Eje Ambiental and get to our final destination: the Gold Museum.
At the museum you will have the chance to complement the information and the experience of the sacred lake. On your guided tour, you will see the most iconic pieces that archaeologists have found at the lake and its surroundings, and other areas of the country. As you leave, you'll have the chance to shop at the handicrafts market at Parque Santander.
Hotel pick-up begins at 9:00am and drop-off at 4:00pm.
Please include your hotel name and address in the "Meeting Point" box during booking.
The order of the tour can be modified due to weather conditions.
Dress code: Smart Casual
Please bring a copy of your passport.
In order to protect your own property, please bring any valuable items with you at any time. Please do not leave any valuable items on the bus/hotel/attraction/restaurant etc. Tours4Fun, local operators, drivers and tour guides will not take any responsibility for any theft or loss at any location.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.