Summary of The Day: The Doge's Palace features the very best and the very worst of Venice's history - from vast paintings by Tintoretto and Veronese to the wooden slot where accusations of treason were slipped to the fearsome Secret Police. To wander the corridors of the Duke's palace is to understand the Republic of Venice, for better or for worse.
Our tour of the palace visits all the best sights open to the public in addition to the Secret Itineraries, assuring you get the most complete tour of the Doge's Palace. Marvel over ceilings frescoed by Tintoretto to show Justice presenting herself to the Doge while you think of all the feet that have shuffled on the tiles you stand on - ambassadors waited nervously in this very spot for an audience with the Doge in the Hall of Four Doors. Then there's the numerous flattering works produced on demand by the masters of the time - "Virtues of the Republic" in the Council Room was Veronese's rosy outlook on the state of his nation while "The Triumph of Venice" in the Senate Hall was where Tintoretto paid his dues on a high ceiling.
For all of the splendor that its corridors hold, you would never guess what is hidden in the attic upstairs in the Palazzo Ducale. Follow your guide to the attic prison where Venice's famous lover and writer Casanova was kept for months before he miraculously managed a successful escape. Peering around this dark room, considering the security that must have existed, it's almost impossible to imagine how he did it - never mind, our guides have the answer.
Casanova was not the only man to see the Doge's Palace on less than favorable terms. The Bridge of Sighs was so named for the prisoners that walked its length on their way to cells across the canal. As they took their last look at beautiful Venice, they couldn't help but sigh.
A visit to the Doge's Palace is a rollercoaster experience, taking you from the artistic highs of Renaissance Venice to its grim bottom. When you step, blinking back into the sun, your head will be full of masterfully executed paintings and needlessly executed prisoners. One thing is for sure - you'll never again see Venice in the same light.
• Chamber of the Secret Chancellery
• Torture Chamber
• Casanova’s Cell
• Chamber of the Inquisitors
• Chamber of the Three Head Magistrates
Non guided - visit on your own time:
• Chamber of the Great Council
• The Chamber of the Scrutinio
• The Compass Room
• The Chamber of the Council of Ten
• Senate Chamber
• The Council Chamber
• Antechamber to the Hall of the Full Council
• The Four Doors Room
• Bridge of Sighs
This service ends around 11:00am at the Doge's Palace.
* Adult: 15 and older
* Child: 6-14 years of age
* Children under the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
* Tour prices are based on EUR and are converted into USD. Prices will change day to day, due to the currency exchange rates. Tours booked and paid for will be charged at the current rate at which the tour price is shown. We will not refund any price differences, should prices drop for the tour. Tours will be subject to Cancellation Fees, should any changes be made for a reservation.
This tour involves a fair amount of walking and steep staircases. Comfortable shoes are recommended.
We cannot accommodate wheelchairs or strollers on this tour.
Photography is permitted throughout the tour, however, photography is prohibited in the Doge's Palace.
We recommend that customers who are not familiar with Venice give themselves ample time to find meeting points.
Clients must arrive at the designated meeting point 15 minutes prior to the scheduled tour time and present their tour voucher to the tour coordinator/guide. Late arrivals will not be able to catch up with the group and no refunds will be given for those who arrive after departure time.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.