Summary of The Day: Don’t miss this unique chance to discover the real dark heart of Rome by visiting an ancient part of the city and burial grounds layers beneath the modern busy streets, and joining us in a nighttime adventure that leaves no stone unturned, telling you the little-known history fraught with murders, executions, and hauntings.
Our Crypts and Catacombs Tour takes you deeper into the strange history of Rome, to the core of this ancient city. We visit three unforgettable sites with one thing in common - these are the most unusual and outlandish places in the Eternal City.
We start our Crypts and Catacombs Rome Tour at the ancient Roman Catacombs. Dating all the way back to the 2nd century AD, this extensive network of tunnels snaking beneath the city was once both a burial ground and a hiding place for the first Christians in Rome. Established in the days when Nero was famed for torturing Christians, the tunnels became a place for refuge as much as for burials and celebrations.
The next stop is the Basilica San Clemente, another site that few visitors ever see. Your guide will begin with the tale of a priest who thought he heard running water inside the basilica. Several years and a sledgehammer later, he and his brothers had mined through the floor of the 12th century basilica, a 5th century church and a 4th century cult temple. Underneath it all, they finally found the ancient aqueduct that had tormented the priest. You will trace this route with your guide through spaces that have been opened now to reveal these incredible layers of history.
We end this part of our tour on a high note, with a visit to the Capuchin Crypt - known locally as the "Bone Chapel." It was here that the Capuchin monks have used the bones of 4,000 of their brothers to decorate the walls and ceilings. Witness a real skull and crossbones, vertebrae chandeliers and full skeletons in their robes before drawing your own conclusion - is it art or morbidity? Either way it is something you will never forget.
Enjoy some free time to have dinner at a local restaurant or to go for a stroll in the historical center of Rome, experiencing the city at its most enchanting time or admiring an unforgettable sunset.
As darkness sets in over Rome, a different city comes to light - a city of legends and mystery, where thousands of years of history left a story behind every stone. Having survived the Middle Ages and the Inquisition, the stories Rome has to tell are far from the average bedtime tale. With our expert English-speaking story tellers, you will traverse the Tiber and wander across piazzas, listening to unknown stories of murders, executions and betrayals. You will see the house of the most notorious (and empathetic) murderer ever to work in the Eternal City and visit the bridge that, according to the legend, is haunted by the ghost of the female Pope.
For an hour and a half, your guide will take you back in time to a city that burned heretics like spit roasted pigs and cured its crime problems by hanging pictures of the Virgin Mary on every corner. Our original Rome night tour shows you a side of the Eternal City that is very distant from the grandeur of the Renaissance and the high fashion of today.
With groups of only 20 people or less you will have plenty of time to allow your imagination to run wild and take you back to the darker side of Rome as you listen to and interact with your expert guide.
For an unforgettable experience of Rome’s dark side and a chance to dig a little deeper into the long and twisted history of the Eternal City, join us on this combo of two highly sought after original and special tours.
Ending time and point:
- Crypts and Catacombs: This service ends at Piazza Barberini around 6:00pm.
- Dark Heart of Rome: outside Castel Sant’Angelo from where public transport and taxis are easily accessible around 10:45pm
(Meeting time: 2:15pm
Location: In the center of Piazza Barberini, by the large Triton (Tritone) fountain. Piazza Barberini is located at the metro stop “Barberini” on metro line A (red line).)
Your reservation is always subject to confirmation by email, normally within one to two business days.
* Adult: 15 and older
* Child: 2-14 years of age
* Participation is free for children below the age of 2.
* Tour prices are based on EUR and are converted into USD. Prices will change day to day, due to the currency exchange rates. Tours booked and paid for will be charged at the current rate at which the tour price is shown. We will not refund any price differences, should prices drop for the tour. Tours will be subject to Cancellation Fees, should any changes be made for a reservation.
Expert, English-speaking guide
Small groups of 20 people or less
Tickets for the Catacombs of Rome, Basilica San Clemente and The Capuchin ‘Bone Chapel’
All transfers in an air-conditioned coach (Only for Crypts & Catacombs Tour)
Free time on own to explore or enjoy an authentic Italian dinner
Clients must arrive at each designated meeting point 15 minutes prior to the scheduled tour time and present their tour voucher to the tour coordinator/guide. We are unable to accommodate late arrivals. Missed tours or tickets due to late arrivals cannot be refunded.
This tour involves a fair amount of walking so comfortable shoes are recommended.
We regret that we are unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or mobility impairments on our tours. We regret that we are unable to accommodate pushchairs or strollers on our tours.
Local operator reserves the right to refuse participation on its tours to any guest under the influence of drugs or alcohol or to any guest whose behavior is disorderly, or poses a threat to other guests or staff.
Entrance into churches requires a strict dress code. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. City Wonders cannot be held responsible for refused entry due to improper dress.
Rome is one of the most visited cities in the world, making certain sites extremely busy in high season. Careful planning limits our exposure to crowds, but please be aware that some locations may be unavoidably busy during standard hours.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.