Summary of The Day: We'll start the Emerald Tour at the Parque Santander, where you can see several landmark buildings of Bogota, including the former building of the El Tiempo newspaper, the Bank of the Republic, the Gold Museum and the churches of San Francisco, La Veracruz and La Tercera.
There, we will travel up to the 23rd floor of the Avianca Building, an architectural landmark of contemporary Bogota, to enter the Museo Internacional de la Esmeralda, where we will visit a 27 square meter tunnel with samples of the emerald deposits and real veins extracted from the mines of Boyacá.
Here we will be able to appreciate the process of working with emeralds, from its extraction in the mines to the carving and handcraft of jewelry making, which we will see live in the museum workshop. The collection showcases unique emeralds from Colombia such as the Fuego Ferde (Green Fire) and Trapiche emerald, known for its strange shape of a star.
After that, we will walk to the Carrera Séptima and Avenida Jimenez, the center of the emerald market in town. Our path towards the Plazoleta del Rosario will let us experience informal traders who are buying and selling emeralds on the streets daily where you will learn the importance of acquiring stones at authorized and reliable stores. This route will take us to the Eje Ambiental and the commercial center for emeralds with the largest number of organized shops in Bogota. Then we enter the Emerald Trade Center, a building with local and export business offices.
Finally, we will walk to La Candelaria, to finish our tour at the Galería de Artesanías y Esmeraldas de Colombia, a place where we will be received with a cup of Colombian coffee and you will enjoy crafts from all over the country. There you will discover the makeup of emeralds and learn to recognize original stones and their value according to their color, clarity and carat weight. At the end of the day we will have seen natural rough emeralds originated millions of years ago, jewelry in silver, yellow and white gold as well as other other precious stones.
This tour can be arranged for the morning or afternoon.
Morning: Hotel pick-up is at 8:30am and drop-off at 12:30pm.
Afternoon: Hotel pick-up is at 2:00pm and drop-off at 6:00pm.
Please include your hotel name and address in the "Meeting Point" box during booking.
We only work with legal and certified emeral galleries.
Dress code: Smart Casual
Please bring a copy of your passport.
In order to protect your own property, please bring any valuable items with you at any time. Please do not leave any valuable items on the bus/hotel/attraction/restaurant etc. Tours4Fun, local operators, drivers and tour guides will not take any responsibility for any theft or loss at any location.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.