Summary of The Day: Journey with us from Merida to Chichen Itza, the fabled Maya citadel of the Yucatan, on a stunning day trip. Join us in discover one of the most well-preserved Maya archaeological sites in the country. Explore this mighty citadel and several legendary structures including the Kukulkan pyramid.
After picking you up from your hotel in Merida we'll travel to Chichen Itza, enjyoing the scenery along the way. Upon arrival we'll begin our tour, visit Kukulkan, also known as El Castillo, which is a giant Maya calendar with exactly 365 steps divided among 4 staircases and the pyramid’s highest platform. During both equinoxes (around March 21st & September 21st) the sun’s shadow cast on this pyramid at a perfect angle creates the illusion of a serpent creeping its way along the structure’s northern staircase.
We'll also get to see the Gran Juego de Pelota, in which ancient Maya warriors battled to the death in this ceremonial game. Check out the acoustics of the structure by holding a conversation with someone standing 135 meters away at the opposite end of the field and see the stone carvings of players in action. Feel the spirit of the Maya world by standing here admiring this unique and majestic construction that was once of monumental importance to the former inhabitants here.
Other impressive structures you can’t miss are the Plataforma de los Craneos (Skull Platform) and the Cenote Sagrado (Sacred Cave). Check out the impressive stone carvings on other pyramids and temples of jaguars, flowers, birds, trees, eagles and among the more gruesome, human sacrifices and human hearts in the clutches of bird claws. The observatory, El Caracol, named The Snail for its spiral staircase, was once an important point from which priests determined important dates for ceremonies and rituals.
Backpacks are not allowed inside the archaeological site, but you can leave them inside the bus at your own risk. We will not be responsible for any lost or stolen items.
A fee of $45 MXN* per person will be charged for the use of any video recording devices inside the site (tablets, cell phones, camera).Price subject to change.
Optional: On the trip to Chichen Izta you will have the opportunity to visit Cenote Ik Kil, an amazing underground river inside a cave where you can walk around, take pictures and go for a swim. The Maya considered these underground rivers and pools as sacred access points to the underworld. This activity costs an extra $70 pesos but it is optional. Those who do not wish to do this activity can stay at the restaurant Hacienda de Camara Xaybeh while the rest of the group is at the cenote.
Note regarding lunch: We will make a stop at Hacienda de Camara Xaybeh for lunch where you will be offered a buffet for $120 pesos, however it is NOT obligatory to eat here. Next to the restaurant you will find an inexpensive roasted chicken restaurant and an Oxxo convenience store to buy snacks. Please feel free to eat wherever you please.
We recommend bringing sun protection and extra water. Bring your bathing suit and towel if you want to swim at the Optional Activity Cenote Ik Kil.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.