Summary of The Day: Take a harbourside setting with an unrivalled view of the famous Sydney skyline.
Build a pop-up opera house, complete with bars, restaurants and tiered seating.
Add a monumental set, colourful, eye-catching costumes, spectacular dance and
an explosion of fireworks, and you’ve got a night like no other.
This is Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour: the cultural event of the year. At sunset,
gather with friends over a glass of something sparkling and a sumptuous Spanish
meal before settling back to enjoy our vivacious, vivid production of Bizet’s Carmen.
Powerful voices sing those famous Spanish tunes, filling the night air with Spanish
rhythms and fiery passion. Soldiers patrol, factory girls seduce shamelessly,
glittering bullfighters parade and dancers pirouette their way across the stage
as the captivating Carmen walks fearlessly towards a fate written in the cards.
Venue map available here.
Shuttle Bus map available here.
Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour is located at Fleet Steps, Mrs Macquaries Point, Sydney.
Mrs Macquaries Road, leading into the venue, is likely to experience traffic congestion. We highly recommend avoiding this road by catching public transport or parking in surrounding car parks and then catching our free shuttle bus. Or, be delivered right to the Point in style by catching a water taxi.
The pre-performance shuttle service starts at 4:30pm until 7:30pm and loops from the Domain Car Park (departing from Sir John Young Crescent on the ground floor) to the venue entrance on Mrs Macquaries Road.
The post-performance shuttle service starts from 9:50pm until midnight and stops at both the Art Gallery of NSW and the Domain Car Park.
The Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour shuttle bus departs from the ground floor of the Domain Car Park and is wheelchair accessible.
The site opens at 6:00pm, with food and beverage options available.
Carmen is performed in French with English surtitles.
The venue, audience seating, and the stage are completely uncovered. The event is an all-weather experience and Opera Australia is committed to going ahead with a performance of Carmen on Sydney Harbour even in doubtful or unfavourable weather conditions. We want everyone to have a wonderful night and we understand that the experience can be affected by rain. Please come prepared so that you are as comfortable as possible, and ready to support the performers, who will carry on singing in the rain.
Sydney weather is full of surprises so we recommend that you dress with this in mind and bring warm, weatherproof clothing. Please note that although umbrellas can be brought to the venue, out of consideration for other members of the audience they cannot be used during the performance.
We will only cancel a performance during electrical storms (within 10km radius) or during times of extremely high winds and/or rain. The decision to cancel a performance is not made until 7.30pm or later and a cancellation may be called during the performance. So please plan to travel to the venue for a 7.30pm performance start time even in unfavourable weather conditions.
In some weather conditions Carmen may have a delayed start time or be paused for up to 50 minutes at any point throughout the performance.
Auxiliary expenses including travel, accommodation or hospitality which you have arranged in conjunction with the performance are at your own risk and not refundable by Opera Australia.
In order to protect your own property, please bring any valuable items with you at any time. Please do not leave any valuable items on the bus/hotel/attraction/restaurant etc. Tours4fun, local operators, drivers and tour guides will not take any responsibility for any theft loss at any location.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.