Summary of The Day: Welcome to Brisbane’s underbelly. Before Melbourne existed, Brisbane had been conceived for the key purpose of receiving the convict rejects of Sydney - the 'worst of the worst'.
Your Brisbane tour will walk you through the city’s penal roots and dive into the more sinister history of the Sunshine State. You’ll navigate laneways and squares and major 'hidden' sites covering two centuries of Brisbane's criminal history.
Along your Brisbane walking tour, you’ll discover who the notorious Captain Patrick Logan was. This young, brilliant, and sadistic commandant of the Moreton Bay penal colony is said to have been killed by Aboriginal Australians who were angry over him entering their lands. Rumor has it that escaped convicts buried him alive - bashed and head first, to face the gates of hell where they felt he belonged.
We'll navigate the archaeological and architectural remains of the harshest penal outpost known in Australia and the relics left behind, from the old Windmill and the Commissariat Store to roadways and embankments.
You’ll take a trip back in time to the Brisbane of the earliest encampment and the nascent city that grew surrounding the commandant’s cottage, military barracks, and the subsequent Frog's Hollow, which housed the capital's brothels and gambling dens for over a century.
Find out where the early city farming plots were and learn about the initial 'first contacts' with Aboriginal people - which soon turned brutal as the foreign concepts of empire and colony led to natives being pushed from their lands, harsh punishments, and murderous altercations.
See where the public gallows and women's prison stood and hear the story of Dundalli, seen by many as an Aboriginal resistance figure, and by the then-authorities as a cold killer.
Hear the story of Brisbane's infamous Mayne family and where the original butcher shop of Patrick Mayne is located as we take in the secrets of the Brisbane Arcade. Get an insider's perspective of the Fitzgerald Inquiry and the illegal casinos, brothels, and police corruption it sought to put an end to. And you thought Brisbane was just surf and sunshine…
Your reservation is always subject to confirmation by email, normally within one to two business days.
* Adult: 12 and older
* Child: 6-11
* Children below 6 are not permitted.
* Tour prices are based on AUD and are converted into USD. Prices will change day to day, due to the currency exchange rates. Tours booked and paid for will be charged at the current rate at which the tour price is shown. We will not refund any price differences, should prices drop for the tour. Tours will be subject to Cancellation Fees, should any changes be made for a reservation.
Please dress smart casual with comfortable footwear for walking.
For this tour you will be in a small group with a maximum of 18 people.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.