Summary of The Day: Berlin is the queer capital of Europe and has been a pioneer of gay and lesbian rights since the late 19th century, despite the notorious Section 175 of the German penal code, which continued to criminalize male homosexuality for decades after the end of WWII.
On this tour we’ll explore Berlin’s gay neighborhood, Schoneberg, home of Marlene Dietrich and chronicled by Christopher Isherwood and Otto Dix. We’ll visit the Eldorado, one of Berlin’s oldest gay and transvestite bars, frequented by openly gay Nazi SA leader Ernst Rohm. We’ll also visit a memorial to the homosexuals persecuted by the Nazis and find out how openly queer and trans-gendered individuals found assistance from advocates such as Magnus Hirschfeld, whose Institute for Sexual Science was shut down in 1933, its library destroyed in the infamous Nazi book burning.
We’ll also visit the vibrant neighborhood of Kreuzberg to get a feel for what life is like today for queer individuals in Berlin. Find out how queer figures from the Prussian King Frederick the Great to the openly gay mayor Klaus Wowereit have shaped the history of Berlin, a city that still believes a kiss-in to be the best form of protest, and finish the tour near to the Gay Museum.
Your reservation is always subject to confirmation by email, normally within one to two business days.
* Adult: 26 and older
* Youth: 13-25 years of age
* Participation is free for children below the age of 12 accompanied by an adult.
* Tour prices are based on Euros (EUR) and converted into US dollars (USD). Constant fluctuations in the exchange rate cause prices to change on a regular basis. You will be charged the price based on the applicable exchange rate at the time of payment. All transactions are final. We do not offer discounts or compensation to those citing lower prices at a later date. Bookings will be subject to penalties when modified or cancelled.
We use public transport on this tour. If you have a valid rail pass, please bring it with you or buy a train ticket from the guide (AB day pass at 7.00 Euros).
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.