Summary of The Day: You'll meet your local guide in the heart of old Berlin at Hackescher Markt. From there we'll walk to River Spree, with a view over magnificent Museum Island as your guide sets the scene with a quick overview of 800 years of Berlin history.
We'll then explore the UNESCO World Heritage site and founding place of Berlin, Museum Island. Your guide will not only tell you the history of the island's 5 world-famous museums, but also show you the spectacular Berlin Cathedral (Berliner Dom) and the monumental TV Tower, Germany's tallest structure. Next you'll see the very moving Neue Wache, Germany's central war memorial, before hearing about the life of Prussia's most beloved king, Frederick the Great, whose favorite square in Berlin became the site of the first Nazi book burning.
From there we'll continue up the grand boulevard Unter den Linden, the old Prussian capital's royal boulevard, exploring the historic district of Mitte. Along the way you'll hear about big names that have left their mark on the city: Albert Einstein, Marlene Dietrich, and JFK. At the end of Unter den Linden we will reach Berlin's most famous monument, Brandenburg Gate, reopened in 1989.
Walking under the Gate, we'll then come to the German parliament building, the Reichstag, where you will hear how Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party were able to take control of Germany in the 1930's. Next you will see the consequences of the Nazi's terrible actions at the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (Holocaust Memorial), as well as seeing where the dictator's reign came to an end at the site of Hitler's bunker.
Heading towards the end of your tour you'll visit the Berlin Wall and the Death Strip, the former border between the Communist East and the Capitalist West, where East Germany once enforced shoot to kill orders on its own citizens! After the Wall you'll visit one of the most famous places in Berlin, where the Soviets and the Americans came face-to-face every day: Checkpoint Charlie. Here your guide will tell you how World War III almost erupted here in the 1960's, and how many East Germans were able to make daring escapes to the West under the watchful eye of armed border guards.
Your tour will finish at Berlin's most beautiful square, with twin cathedrals and the neo-classical concert house: Gendarmenmarkt, an enchanting place conveniently situated next to a fantastic shopping area, surrounded by some of Berlin's best restaurants.
Your reservation is always subject to confirmation by email, normally within one to two business days.
* Adult: 26 and older
* Youth: 12-25 years of age
* Children younger than 12 (accompanied by an adult) are free of charge.
* Tour prices are based on Euros (EUR) and converted into US dollars (USD). Constant fluctuations in the exchange rate cause prices to change on a regular basis. You will be charged the price based on the applicable exchange rate at the time of payment. All transactions are final. We do not offer discounts or compensation to those citing lower prices at a later date. Bookings will be subject to penalties when modified or cancelled.
Guided walking tour of Berlin
Map of Berlin including museum highlights and public transport info
There will be a 20-minute break in the middle of the tour. Food, drink, and toilets will be available then.
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.