Summary of The Day: The Liberty Bell. Independence Hall. We all know Philadelphia for its famous landmarks and historical background, but did you also know that it's home to this wicked food market? Join this Italian Market tour in Philadelphia for a dose of yummy Philly food at its very best.
Starting at the always-colorful South Street, head off with your local guide through the neighborhood of Bella Vista in South Philly. You’ll explore the tiny streets in this section and have a chance to view some of the iconic mosaic art from a local artist. As we continue to tour Philadelphia, swing by a historic deli, duck into a tempting bakery, and stroll along Christian Street before arriving at the sounds, aromas, and sights of the famous Italian market or, more accurately, the South 9th Street Curb Market.
The market is the oldest and largest everyday open-air market in the USA, and it’s easy to understand why it is one of Philly’s must-see attractions. With your local guide leading the way on this Philly tour, explore the huge variety of stores located here, many of which are Italian in heritage. Tempt tastebuds as you wander past cheeses, chocolates, spices, and olive oils. Discover bakeries, butchers, and a myriad of other produce stalls plus a wonderful kitchen store. And don’t worry, if the temptation to purchase becomes too great, you’re likely to get a bargain as many of these stores discount for our travelers! Along the way you'll get the chance to talk to some of the owners and employees of these shops and stalls, and hear fascinating local stories of the development of this area over the years.
As you continue through the market, cross over the main intersection and head towards a variety of Mexican stores. If this area looks familiar it’s probably because it was here that Rocky ran through the streets on one of his famous training runs. Nearby you’ll also see a selection of Vietnamese, Cambodian, and Chinese stores, brimming with aromas and sights that are sure to delight the senses. This Philadelphia market tour concludes at the intersection made famous by local restaurant competitors Pat's and Geno's, where you'll be able to buy a famous Philly Cheesesteak after the tour. If you don’t want the adventure to end here, continue with your guide on the Markets, Mosaics, & Magic tour.
Ending point: Corner of 9th Street & Passyunk Avenue.
A good pair of comfortable walking shoes is advisable. Make sure to check the weather report for rain!
1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
4. Simply print your E-Ticket and present it with your valid photo ID on the day of your activity to your tour guide. Please remember E-Ticket is your proof of purchase.
- Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.
Josh was very knowledgeable about the history and culture surrounding the Italian Market. In addition, he made every effort to connect with the local merchants, so that the participants could receive first hand information.
Alex was knowledgable and interesting. The tomato pie was delicious. Having been introduced to all these wonderful places,I'm anxious to return to this neighborhood and also take other Urban Adventures tours.